Tuesday 20 May 2008

I don't need an excuse for gadgets but...

It all makes perfect sense to me. It's just not possible to accomplish anything unless you have the right gadgets. I'll come onto the photographic necessities soon, but what else do you need to survive a week in Tornado Alley?

Let's start with the mobile; notwithstanding the fact that there is no (Orange) mobile phone coverage anywhere north of Oklahoma City, the old Nokia N70 no longer cuts the mustard. Enter stage left the LG Viewty coming tomorrow. And one for the wife. In purple. Actually this one requires no justification - they are free with big savings on rolling up the mobile and broadband contracts. Less the cost of the spare batteries, charger, memory cards...How on earth did I manage without a 5mp camera and 120 fps video?

Next I need to ensure that this blog endures into the Alley. Not for me is the bloated XP driven laptop (apart from the one upstairs...and the one I use at work). No, my machine of choice is the amazing Asus eee 701, portable Nirvana powered by open source Linux. I've even managed to install a photo editing suite (GIMP, no seriously) and Skype to make freeish home phone calls in the unlikely event that wifi and a civilised time in the UK coincide. Mated with a Western Digital Passport 250GB pocket hard drive and a geeky Skype headset, and a Compact Flash reader, and we must be getting close!

What else? PSP, iPod (it's an old mini in pink - leave the case on at all times), and of course, the cameras, but more on them later.

That's more than enough for today. Tomorrow is for 2006 and all that.

Cheers Adam

No comments: