Thursday 12 May 2016

Day 5 - Marginal...

What a mere marginal day? Tornado risk is less than 2% everywhere so it’s a leisurely 10:00 meet. I woke up at 5:30 after struggling to get the blog done and incredibly last night’s blog photos had finally uploaded. When I first came over here Wi-Fi was fairly hopeless; it’s 2016, we expect better. I went back to sleep and was woken by the alarm at 9:00.

We have breakfast at the Switch Café in Cool and head south on US281 then  west on I20 towards Abilene where we’ll no doubt turn south at some point to San Angelo.  Things look remarkably different than they did last night when we were belting down here in torrential rain and mind boggling lightning.  Tomorrow looks like a slight day and we may visit the Sonora Caverns the and Buddy Holly Museum which is in Lubbock, Texas in the morning as it’s on the way to where storms may fire. When I gave Rich a quick storm chasing induction before we came over I surmised that we’d likely remain in the southern plains, Oklahoma and Texas which is typical for  this time of year. And so it has proved.
Yesterday I lost the thread on where we were on the maps which is slightly irritating. I always switch on the D800s aftermarket GPS when we’re chasing so I know where the photos were taken; our location and height above sea level appears in the EXIF. I’ll use that to trace out the map when I get home. I do like to know where I’ve been. The map is back out, today’s pen colour is pinkish.
We take a brake at Cisco. Can’t get any Wi-Fi which is ironic considering where we’ve stopped. If that’s too an obtuse reference then I’ll have to explain – it’s a joke and it’s a router!
One thing I forgot to mention is that you get SUV legs which is ironic (again) because you don’t actually use your legs for anything much when you’re travelling. However, after a long drive you have very strong sensation of having got off a ship which lasts until the next morning. We head south on Texas 206 including a rough bit under construction.
We arrive in San Angelo and the weather has a day off so we have a late leisurely lunch at the Cork and Pig. I have a nice pizza and a bottle of Fireman 4 blonde ale. We then check in at the Days Inn (proper Wi-Fi!) and go for a visit to the small historic quarter. Nice old shops and an interesting story about a bordello in one of the basements that was closed down by the Texas Rangers in 1946. Tonight we’re having dinner next door at the Texas Roadhouse and we’ll see what tomorrow brings. Only two days left.
Total Miles: 228

 


 

No comments: