Wednesday 25 April 2012

Well, here we go again...

I can't believe it's nearly two years since that amazing day at the end of May 2010 when we witnessed that epic, once in a lifetime tornado in Campo, Colorado. Since the views on this blog have now crawled into four figures you're statisically likely to have already read my account of that day earlier in the blog right? If not check it out NOW!

Campo came on my third trip out to the Plains (2006/2008/2010) and it had a strange effect. Rather than whet the appetite for more adventures in Tornado Alley it kind of did the opposite. How can you ever top that? The itch felt well and truly scratched and the hunger had been satisfied (Sonic Burgers notwithstanding!) - any future visit would surely be a disappointment. I think we all had the same feeling.

So what changed?

Possibly the passage of time. Possibly watching Storm Chasers over and over again as they charge through small towns in the Mid-West and I keep saying "I've been there!". Possibly the technology, being able to watch live streams of chasers as they crawl like ants round radar images of supercells. Possibly the intense, gut wrenching events of Dixie Alley and Joplin last year. The bottom line: once you've been, no matter what, eventually you'll want to go back; the lure is too strong.

I can also blame Peter Wharton our tour leader for this trip. The last three trips have been on organised tours, the first two with Storm Chasing Adventure Tours and the last with Tempest Tours. You can read between the blog lines if you like, but I'll save you the trouble; if you're a first timer I'd recommend Tempest. Better organised and you'll learn more, though SCAT were more fun. There are other reputable tour companies out there of which I hear good things but I have no personal experience of any of them.

So back to Peter. I met Peter who was a guide on my 2008 trip. The organised tours are fine as far as they go but the experience starts to feel a little formulaic. On down days you visit some of the "sights". Now I like the Twister Museum in Wakita, OK as much as the next chaser. But not so much on the second visit, and I really couldn't face the prospect of a third. Plus as a keen amateur photographer I would wince as we passed some photogenic piece of Americana as we meandered between truck stops on a quiet day before terminating at another fast food joint. Peter's philosophy is much more up my street and the temptation was just too much. Check it out here:

http://www.stormgroupchasers.com/

And you can check out the ants here:

http://www.tornadovideos.net/pages/full_screen/

My fellow chasers on this trip are Jock McGinty, our driver from Australia, Liam Smith who I'll be sharing the flight from Blighty, Anne Hassin from Florida and Camille Seaman, a professional photographer from California. Her cool website is here:

http://www.camilleseaman.com/

No Rat (sprogged!) or Dawn (work commitments) this time. Liam and I will be flying out of Manchester on Friday morning via Atlanta, Georgia (I'm claiming that as a new State) to Oklahoma City. No doubt we'll "acclimatise" by visting the Rodeo Club on Friday night (sleep is for wimps) and have a leisurely day out in Bricktown on the Saturday before meeting up with the team on the evening for dinner. Chase day 1 is Sunday with 6 more to follow.

I had a quick look at the 4-8 day forecast from the Storm Prediction Centre here:

http://www.spc.noaa.gov/products/exper/day4-8/

Looks like there's a blocking pattern in place so the start of the week might be quiet with the good stuff starting on Tuesday or Wednesday. Experience tells me to take anything more than 3 days out with a pinch of salt...

The camera list has been updated as follows:

Nikon D700 c/w 16-35 f4
Nikon D7000 c/w 16-85 f4-5.6 and 70-300 f4-5.6

I've just had some 30"x20" prints done from last time. Even wide open at ISO 1600 in dusky, difficult lighting they look great. No film cameras this time, DLSRS and modern zooms do the business.

I'm amazed I got this blog back up and running as I've been rediculously busy. I fully intended to do a storm spotter qualification and read up some more on forecasting. That'll have to wait for the long flight ;o)

The blog will be updated as and when I get the time and an internet connection. It shouldn't be more than a day out but no promises! Any tornadoes will get priority!

Cheers
Adam

No comments: