Monday 5 May 2014

Never say never again...the Biennial Storm Chaser

Meaning, of course every two years, rather than biannual, being twice a year.

Going once every two years has its advantages, so let's think about that:
  • Less cost P.A.
  • Less domestic stress, aggravation and bribes (new kitchen this year...ouch!)
  • You forget how exhausting the whole thing can be
  • You look forward to it more
and the downside...
  • It's every two years (der...)
  • Fewer excuses to buy new kit
  • More likely to forget the login and password for this blog
Anyway, I'm back for more and so is this confounded blog. I'd feel quite liberated not doing it and make do with chucking some stuff on social media instead but the latent OCD needs an airing so here we go. I have to admit to reading it occasionally myself when I can't remember what happened on a particular trip, plus I promised a few people it would be resurrected. Speaking of promises, I said I'd name check a new storm chasing review site which you can find here:

http://www.stormchasingusa.com

By all means have a browse, perhaps it'll help the wannabe chaser take some action and actually get out on to the Plains. Too many people say "how jealous they are" but it's "too expensive" and they "haven't got the time" or it "sounds dangerous". If you fall into this category, stop making excuses, pony up the cash (start saving, sell some stuff you don't need or whatever) and get it sorted for next year. No pockets in shrouds as me ol' mam would say.

One thing that will save you some coin is going with a better value tour. I'm back with these guys:

http://www.stormgroupchasers.com

Checking my spreadsheet (no really...) tells me I'm saving around US$1000 which is not to be sniffed at. Stormgroupchasers works on a not for profit basis, but the saving in my "hard earned"is a bonus rather than the reason I'm going back with them. They have a very different ethos from other tour providers which I really like. Refer to my 2012 entries for the lowdown.

My fellow travellers this year are all seasoned storm chasers and I'll be meeting up again with Peter Wharton and also with Glenn Geise who I chased with in 2006 and 2008.

Ok, time for the kit update:

  • Main camera: Nikon D800 (does everything brilliantly and never lets me down)
  • Sigma 24-105 f4 "Art" lens (superb quality but lacks weather sealing. Hmmm...)
  • Nikon 16-35 f4 (Supercell friendly wide zoom)
  • Samyang 14mm superwide (if I can fit it in)
  • Nikon D7000 & 70-300 zoom (back up camera and a "reach" option
  • iPhone 5s (brilliant camera, Facebook friendly)
  • Panasonic SD900 HD camcorder (small and good)
  • Mamiya 7ii & 43mm (21mm equivalent) wide angle, rangefinder medium format FILM camera 
    • Fun, fantastic quality but not much use when the action gets frantic
Only 3 days until the pilgrimage begins - overnight at Manchester, flight to Chicago and connection to Oklahoma City. See you soon!



No comments: