Saturday 10 June 2017

Day 6 – What goes up must come down…


After yesterday’s long chase day I woke up at 5 a.m. after dreaming my alarm had gone off. I finally woke up at 8 very tired. Hotels need to provide door hangers that say “Do not resuscitate” never mind “Do not disturb”.

We have a nice breakfast at the North Side Café in North Forks and as we’re on the border with Minnesota we cross the river east for gas purely because we can and I am now claiming that as my 20th state. There’s a signpost to Winnipeg in Canada showing just how far north we are. The waft of maple syrup and Mountie horses can almost be tasted on the wind…

There’s not a lot going on weather wise other than a marginal day in South Dakota sometime after dark. The mission, pretty much is to get back to Oklahoma City over the next couple of days which is a long way south. I checked the direct route yesterday from North Forks to Oklahoma City; via interstate it was 1096 miles though you could go on lesser roads and do it in 996 miles but, and here’s the but: it was four minutes slower!

We head south on the I29 towards Sioux Falls for the 6 hour journey to today’s destination, Murdo and perhaps I’ll actually get to have a beer in the Anchor Inn. We stop on the way at Wilmot, South Dakota at a rest area. There is an absence of the usual proliferation of gas stations as we are in Lake Traverse Indian Reservation. We’re heading back south and stop off at a nice small town called Watertown for lunch at Henry’s; I turn down the opportunity for a haircut as there’s a barbers also in the establishment and instead have a nice, if rather large chef’s  salad as a soft landing to when I get home and back to healthy eating though what I really fancy is a nice bit of fruit. A large root beer (actually quite nice) and a couple of paracetamols put paid to the sleep deprived headache I’ve had since this morning. I fit in a call home before we head west on US212, then cross country stopping at Pump n’Pak in Miller for a pit stop.  2 hours from here.

We cross the Missouri and onto the I90 for the last leg of today’s journey and into the Super 8 at Murdo. Sadly, as I learn from the guys at the hotel, the Anchor Inn is no more having close after the owners apparently had some issues with the law regarding what was being sold on the premises but don’t quote me on that. Bottom line: it’s shut  :o(

Had an ok dinner and beer at the Rusty Spur, now sat outside waiting for severe thunderstorms to roll over us with large hail at around 2 a.m. then leaving here at 7 a.m. for the 700 mile journey back to Oklahoma City!


Total miles: 478

No comments: